Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Whole New World

I was recently inspired by a friend who is writing a blog that I really enjoy and so I thought, why not I'll give it a  go.. (If you would like to see Mike's blog click here).

First I have to say how awesome it is to be able to say click here and it takes you to the link, damn I love technology haha...

Okay So I am from South Africa and as from the 27th December I have been living in New York. Thus my title: A Whole New World, because literally it feels that way. Everything is so different here, I feel like such a foreigner.. It's weird being noticed for my accent and even though I am having a great time, I do miss home a lot. Seriously though, I never thought I would ever get to see Time Square, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building and all of the famous sights us in SA only see in movies!

Let me go back a bit, I am an au pair( a live-in nanny) and I have wanted to do this for quite some time but there was always something holding me back... Until one day I applied in the spur of the moment and next thing I knew I was on a plan headed for JFK airport... I have now been here, living in a suburb called Suffern, for 4months and 12days. (But who's counting ;) haha) I still feel like there's something new to see everyday and I love squirrels!  I get distracted easily, I apologize but you have to agree they are very cute! In SA we have monkeys climbing our trees and so it's awesome to see these fluffy tailed creatures running around :). They are very hard to photograph because they are so skittish but I finally got one good shot and I am very proud of myself!



As you can see from the little logo, I am a 'budding photographer'. I love taking pictures and I hope to advance into a career as a photographer one day. My favourite shoot I did was for a wedding, where the couple could not afford a professional photographer and so I did there wedding photos for free. If you would like to see my 1st Wedding shoot Photographs then go to my facebook photography page and if you like then please like ;)


Okay I feel like I am talking too much about myself but then again I am not sure what else I should be speaking about.. The weirdest thing just happened, my computer logged off and started updating without my consent and I just have to say I hate Murphy's law because I said at the top - I love technology well now it just pissed me off.. I lost two paragraphs I had written!

Let me try remember what I was on about, oh yes... "Long Distance Relationships". This has been a Hot Topic lately and it applies to me as well. I have been with Royce(my boyfriend) for almost 4 years now and we both decided that we would be able to make the year apart because we love each other so much and I am so thankful to him for being so supportive. That aside, long distance is not easy! Being apart from the one you want to be with (ironic) is the hardest thing I have had to deal with. Technology(touch wood) helps because we are able to skype and text but I am wondering if it is easier this way or if it would have been easier back in the days where people still wrote letters to each other. I mean for me, it's awesome to be able to chat face to face over skype but it is so frikken' frustrating not being able to have literal contact. I often try to stick my hand through the video portal just so I can touch his face but unfortunately the laptop screen doesn't allow.. If anyone(hopefully) is reading this, leave me a comment on your views on long distance relationships. I am very interested to hear what you think.

I want to end this post off with one of my favourite childhood movie songs: A Whole New World because as well as I am in a 'new world', my world started when I fell in love with Royce and my world is where my heart is; with you <3




Cheers for now

Kirstin

No comments:

Post a Comment